Morris v. Tyson
The Public Justice Food Project represents a mass action of poultry growers in Western Kentucky who raise poultry for Tyson, the nation’s largest poultry company. Tyson acts as an “integrator,” controlling all of the inputs used by its poultry growers—such as the birds, feed, and medical care—as well as the processing facilities and contracts for sale. Our clients, like all of Tyson’s growers, essentially act as sharecroppers for Tyson, unable to control their own destiny and being paid under an unfair system.
We allege that both this system and Tyson’s abuse of it violate state law and the federal Packers and Stockyards Act. In particular, we allege that Tyson possesses anti-competitive power and has used that power to manipulate growers’ outputs and income.
- Plaintiff's First Amended Complaint (Morris v. Tyson) (BriefComplaint)
- Denial of Motion to Dismiss Count Against Tyson (Morris v. Tyson) (Court OpinionMotion to Dismiss)
- Order Entering Protective Order (Morris v. Tyson) (BriefCourt Order)
- Motion to Compel Outstanding Discovery (Morris v. Tyson) (BriefDiscovery)
- Plaintiff's Memorandum of Law in Support of Motion to Exclude Anderson Testimony (Morris v. Tyson) (BriefExpert DeclarationMisc. Motions)
- Exh. A to Plaintiffs' Response to Defendant's Statement of Uncontroverted Facts (Morris v. Tyson) (BriefFact SheetMotion for Summary Judgment)
- Memorandum of Law in Opposition to Tyson's Motion for Summary Judgment (Morris v. Tyson) (BriefMotion for Summary Judgment)
- Memorandum Opinion and Order on Summary Judgment (Morris v. Tyson) (Court OpinionMotion for Summary Judgment)
- Opinion on Stiegert testimony (Morris v. Tyson) (Court OpinionExpert Declaration)
- Plaintiff's Opposition to Tyson's Motion Reconsider the Court's Ruling on Summary Judgment (Morris v. Tyson) (BriefMotion for Summary JudgmentMotion to Reconsider)
- Plaintiff's Opposition to Tyson's Motion to Reconsider the Court's Ruling on Steigert Testimony (Morris v. Tyson) (BriefExpert DeclarationMotion to Reconsider)